- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 carrot very finely diced or grated
- 1 onion very finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery very finely chopped
- 1 by 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- 3 cloves of peeled black garlic
- 1 tablespoon of tomato puree
- 1 – 2 teaspoons of brown sugar (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of dried Italian mixed herbs
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan until hot. Add the carrot, onion and celery and simmer until soft but not coloured.
- Crush the black garlic cloves and add to the vegetables.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the tomato puree and herbs. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour on a very low heat. If the sauce is too thick add a little hot vegetable stock.
- Check for seasoning and then add the brown sugar to taste.